Arrochar > Heritage Trail > Glenloin
Glenloin - Arrochar
On passing Succoth Farm and heading north up Feorlin
you come to the site of the old Youth Hostel which opened in 1932 and
closed as a youth hostel in 1949, it was used for many years by the
early climbers and walkers to the area. Not much is documented about
this hostel but we do know that the warden from 1939 until1948 was Billy
Mc Neill he was described as a lively character that carried through a
difficult and sometimes exacting task arising from the many vicissitudes
of hostel organisation in the Arrochar area. This included numerous
structural alterations and additions to the hostel itself, along with
war-time adventures with evacuees, forestry and other workers,
alternating periods of exceptional activity arising from the closing of
Ardgartan Hostel during the
war Billy died at the hostel in 1948 and is buried in Arrochar cemetery.
High in Corrigrogan between Ben Ime and Ben Vane through which a tributary of the Inveruglas water known as the Ault Corrie Grogan runs. The valley forms a green hollow, which is said to contain a ‘Fairy Pool’. It was the Inveruglas fairies that had the secret of the dying and when other fairies tried to discover their methods the Inveruglas fairies threw all their dying secrets into the pool. This explains how to this day the pool in the Green Hollow among the hills has such a wonderful green colour. (Extract from the Peat Fire Flame by Alistair MacGregor).
In Glenloin, above Stronafyne, there is evidence of early Iron Workings. This was probably used to make horseshoes and small tools. Ref. from the Church of MacFarlane: In Glenloin above Stronafyne are some old mineral workings, which may belong to this time 717ad. There is also evidence of this type of workings at the Bloomings above Stuckendroin.
Tobar na Uruisg.a wild blacksmith who dabbled in the black arts had a smiddy on the northeast side of the village of Arrochar; he was in league with the Goblin who lived at the Red Well in Glenloin. Tradition has it that at this time the best way for an ill person to receive a cure was to go to the smiddy, and give the blacksmith a silver coin. He in return gave them a nail, which they took and hammered into an old tree beside the Red Well. On taking a drink from the well the person was cured. This well was famous throughout the district. It was destroyed when a vandal threw human filth into it. That night there was heavy rain causing a landslide, which took the well twenty yards down the hillside resulting it loosing its magical powers. See the Rev. Winchesters book.