History of the Arrochar & Tarbet Golf Course >
History of the Arrochar & Tarbet
The club was formed in 1904 on land between the Tarbet Hotel and Ballyhennen Church. The land was owned by the company who owned the Tarbet hotel. Golf was a popular activity at Tarbet until the outbreak of World War 1. After the war the course remained in use until around 1921. It then became overgrown and the funding to restore the fairways and greens could not be raised. There were attempts up to 1959 to restore the golf course but sadly, despite the best efforts of all concerned, this never happened.
An annual golf competition was held here and we believe a cup was awarded to the winner each year. The group are in possession of the August 1911 cup kindly donated by Mr. R Menzies. It was won by R. Campbell and a picture of this cup can be found at the bottom of this page. New Years competitions were also held.
Here are all the documents we have relating to the golf course mainly between 1906 to 1909 starting with a map showing the locations of the holes. We have also included several documents and newspaper clippings related to the attempted restoration of the course in 1959 by Dr. John Mackintosh the Club President.
Following the golf course falling into
disrepute in 1921 there were several calls to restore the course to
it's former glory. In 1959 it was very nearly achieved. John
Mackintosh from Invereoch at Arrochar, the Club President, tried to
get the course restored and even advertised the fact in the local
press requesting local players prepare and maintain the fairways and
greens with the help of donations of equipment. Here are the related
Unfortunately the course was never restored and today is just fields.
The inscription reads:- Arrochar And Tarbet GOLF CLUB Won by R. Campbell Aug. 1911