The Switching On Of The Electric Supply to Arrochar 1948 >
The Switching On Of The Electric Supply to Arrochar 30th April 1948.
Miss MacFarlane, who lived in Lower Bellview, on the 30th April 1948, officially switched on the electricity supply to the village of Arrochar. At 96 years old she was at that time the oldest resident of the community.
Above is a photograph of her with Nurse Clark, the local nurse, in the background. The square box on her knee is a bedside light that was presented to her by the Hydro officials. Below is a photo taken showing Miss MacFarlane and other locals outside the shop.
Below is a photograph of the village residents who turned out to witness this historic event.
It would appear that the rest of the village had to wait their turn as the dates on this meter card found in Hawthorn Cottage shows this house was not connected until October 1948.
Mrs. Irene Maundrell of Thunder Bay in Canada provided the photographs shown. Irene’s maiden name was Campbell, as a child she lived at Firkin and was a pupil at Arrochar Primary School.